A paleo diet is basically a dietary plan which is based on foods that are very much similar to what might have been eaten during the Paleolithic era, which dates from approximately 2.5 million to 10,000 years ago.
This paleo diet is designed to resemble what human hunter-gatherer ancestors ate about thousands of years ago.
Although it is quite impossible to know exactly what human ancestors ate in all the different parts of the world, but researchers do believe that their diets consisted mostly of whole foods.
In fact, several studies by scientists suggest that this diet can also lead to significant weight loss without calorie counting and even significant improvements in health.
Typically a paleo diet includes lean meats, fish, fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds few foods that in the past could be mostly obtained by hunting and gathering. This paleo diet also limits foods that became very much common when farming emerged almost about 10,000 years ago. The meals include dairy products, legumes, and grains.
Few other names for a paleo diet include Paleolithic diet, The Stone Age diet, The hunter-gatherer diet, and also caveman diet.
The main purpose of a paleo diet is to return to a way of eating that is more like what the early humans ate. Paleo diet reasons that the human body, which is genetically mismatched to that of the modern diet is emerged with the farming practices, an idea which is also known as the discordance hypothesis.
When Farming was introduced, it changed what people usually ate and also established dairy, grains, and legumes as the additional staples in the human diet. Because of all these relatively late and rapid changes in the diet, according to the hypothesis, it outpaced the body’s ability to adapt. This mismatch is often believed to be a significant contributing factor to the prevalence of obesity, diabetes and also heart disease today.
Major Foods to Avoid while you are on Paleo Diet
You may Avoid the above foods and ingredients:
- The Sugar and high-fructose corn syrup: Soft drinks, pastries, ice cream, fruit juices, table sugar, candy, and many others.
- Grains: Includes wheat, spelt, rye, barley, , and pastas, etc.
- Trans fats: Trans fats are mainly found in margarine and various processed foods. These are Usually referred to as “hydrogenated” or “partially hydrogenated” oils.
Artificial sweeteners: Aspartame, acesulfame potassium, sucralose, cyclamates, saccharin. You may use natural sweeteners instead.
Highly processed foods: Everything that is labeled “diet” or “low-fat” or those that have many additives. They Include artificial meal replacements.
- Grains, such as wheat, oats, and barley
- Legumes, such as lentils, beans, peanuts, and peas
- Dairy products
- Refined sugar
- Highly processed foods in general
FOODS TO BE CONSUMED WHEN YOU ARE ON A PALEO DIET:
- Nuts and seeds
- Meat: Beef, pork, lamb, chicken, turkey, and others.
- Fish and seafood: These include Salmon, trout, haddock, shrimp, shellfish, etc You may also Choose wild-caught if you can.
- Eggs: Choose free-range eggs, pastured eggs or omega-3 enriched eggs.
- Vegetables: Broccoli, carrots, tomatoes, kale, peppers, onions etc.
- Fruits: Apples, avocados, strawberries, blueberries, bananas, oranges, pears and more.
- Tubers: Potatoes, yams, sweet potatoes, turnips, etc.
- Nuts and seeds: Almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, macadamia nuts, walnuts, hazelnuts, etc..
- Healthy fats and oils: Avocado oil, Extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, and others.
- Salt and spices: Sea salt, turmeric, garlic, rosemary, etc.
- Lean meats, especially the grass-fed animals or wild game
- Oils from the fruits and nuts, such as olive oil, walnut oil
Simple Paleo Snacks that can be consumed while following this diet:
There is no real need to eat more than three meals per day, but in case you get more hungry, above are some paleo snacks that are very simple and easily portable:
A piece of fruit
A handful of nuts
Leftovers from the night before
Apple slices with some almond butter
What to Drink When You’re Thirsty when you are on Paleo Diet:
When it comes to hydration, water should always be your go-to beverage.
The above drinks are not exactly paleo, but most people who follow this diet, drink them anyway:
Tea: Tea is actually very healthy and is loaded with antioxidants and also various beneficial compounds. Basically,
Green tea will be the best.
Coffee: It is actually very high in antioxidants as well. Many studies show that it also has many health benefits.
Many randomized clinical trials have compared the paleo diet to any other eating plans, such as the Mediterranean Diet or Diabetes Diet. All these trials suggest that paleo diet may provide benefits when compared with the other diets of fruits, vegetables, lean meats, whole grains, legumes, and few low-fat dairy products. These benefits of this diet may include:
Better blood pressure control
Better appetite management
More weight loss
Improved glucose tolerance
However, the longer trials with large groups of people also randomly assigned different diets are much needed to understand the long-term, and overall health benefits and the possible risks of a paleo diet