Benefits of Chocolate – Chocolates have both positive and negative effects yet people always exaggerate, “Say NO! to Chocolate”. Dark chocolate contains multitudinous nutritional values and has a positive impact on the body. Chocolates are composed of tropical Theobroma cacao seeds which were used by the Olmec civilization in the prehistoric times. Later, chocolate became famous in Asia, Europe and soon the worldwide over.
As per the latest research, even milk (white) chocolates provide us with nutrients and are good for our health by lowering our chances of facing heart problems.
Health Benefits of Chocolates:
- Reduces Risk of Stroke: Chocolates contain substantial amounts of flavonoids. These antioxidants in flavonoids help to reduce stroke risks. As per a study ‘Women who ate more than 45 grams of chocolate in a week had 20 times lesser chances of having a stroke.
- Boosts Heart Health: Chocolate’s anti-inflammatory quality lowers blood pressure, reduces the chances of heart attacks and lowers LDL cholesterol. It oxidizes bad cholesterol and raises the level of HDL cholesterol and insulin sensitivity.
- Fills You Up: Chocolates contain 11 grams of fiber which remains in our body for a long period of time and thus keeps us full and less hungry. Dark chocolates are better than milk chocolates in this case and may also help to reduce cravings for sweets, fatty and spicy foods.
- Improves memory: Scientists have proved that drinking 2 cups of hot chocolate per day may help in keeping the brain healthy and prevent memory decline. They keep the blood flowing in different working areas of the brain.
- The powerhouse of antioxidants: Unprocessed cocoa seeds have the highest amount of antioxidants. Dark chocolates have heavy amounts of flavonoids which prevent the body cells from damage due to regular body activities.
- Reason for glowing skin: Flavonoids present in dark chocolates protect the skin from UV rays thus preventing skin damage.
- Mood booster: Consuming chocolates can reduce stress levels. The same has been backed by various researchers.
- Improves eyesight.
- Can cure a cough.
- May help in reducing weight.
If chocolate is combined with milk or taken as a drink it does not lose its health benefits rather the nutritional value of milk gets combined with it. If you do not prefer cow or buffalo milk, then alternatives like soy and almond milk are also available in the market.
Benefits of chocolate milk:
- Restores vitamins
- Helps in keeping the body hydrated
- Source of protein for bodybuilding
- Boosts carbohydrate supply to various parts of our body like liver and muscles
- Post workout drink supplies energy
- Source of calcium